Breast augmentation revision surgery is a procedure that corrects the results of an initial breast augmentation. Patients that are looking to revise the size, shape, or position of their breast implants can achieve their goals with a secondary surgery. Breast augmentation is one of the most popular cosmetic surgeries performed today, yet revision rates following primary augmentation remain as high as 36%.  Revision surgery can address ruptured implants or offer a refresh for patients who have had their original implants for a decade or more. It is a personal decision to have breast augmentation surgery, and deciding whether to go through with a second operation can be a challenging prospect to contemplate. However, every patient deserves to love their breasts, and if their initial results do not meet their expectations, breast augmentation revision surgery can help. Choosing a surgeon experienced in the intricacies of breast augmentation and the techniques used for successful revision intricacies will help put your mind at ease.
Dr. Gregory Fedele is a board-certified surgical artist with the vast knowledge needed to recreate, correct, or refresh your breast augmentation. As one of the top plastic surgeons in Cleveland, Ohio, Dr. Fedele uses his love of aesthetic beauty and extensive surgical training to transform his patients’ lives and confidence. If you are ready to learn more about how a breast augmentation revision can substantially benefit your life, contact us at (216) 464-1616.
In the meantime, follow our blog to learn more about Dr. Fedele’s contributions to the world of cosmetic improvements.
- 1 Reasons for Revision Surgery
- 2 The Benefits of Revision Augmentation
- 3 Ideal Candidates
- 4 What to Expect During Your Surgical Consultation in Ohio
- 5 Preparing for Revision Surgery
- 6 Procedure
- 7 Recovery from Revision Surgery
- 8 What is the Cost of Breast Revision Surgery in Ohio?
- 9 References
Reasons for Revision Surgery
There are many reasons patients seek revision surgery for their original breast augmentation, including:
- Disappointed with the size, shape, or symmetry of the breasts
- Implants have migrated or rotated
- Capsular contracture (scar tissue around the implant)
- Ruptured implants
- Painful implants
- Reaction to implants (e.g., allergy to silicone)
The most common reasons are capsular contracture, implant malposition, and sagging of the aging breast; these are also the most complicated revision procedures.  It is essential that you have realistic expectations for your revision surgery. The goal is often to improve the appearance of the original surgery, but expecting perfection is never a good mindset to begin your aesthetic surgical journey. The most important thing is that you are healthy, so once any complications are addressed, Dr. Fedele will use his incredible surgical skills to give you the best possible results.
You may be due for an implant replacement if it has been ten years or more since your original breast augmentation. While silicone had a bad reputation for years, the FDA has approved its use in implants since 2006.  Maybe you’re at an age where you feel a smaller breast size would be more appropriate for your lifestyle. Or, perhaps you want to return to your natural breast tissue without implants. Dr. Fedele has heard every possible reason a patient has for choosing revision surgery. Additionally, he is well-versed in the latest surgical improvements that may have emerged since your last surgery. Contact us to learn how things have changed since your initial surgery or so that we can help address any issues you have with your older implants.
The Benefits of Revision Augmentation
There are many benefits patients will receive with successful breast augmentation surgery, such as:
- Improved self-image and self-confidence
- A more proportionate figure
- Clothes will fit better and look more flattering
- Relief from any discomfort the implants may have caused
- More aesthetically pleasing breasts
However, as with any surgery, there are also risks involved. These risks can range from mild to severe and may even be life-threatening. That’s why you must choose a board-certified surgeon with a proven track record of success. Dr. Fedele understands the importance of achieving natural-looking results while maintaining the integrity of the tissue and protecting the patient’s health. He will work closely with you to help you choose the proper techniques to ensure you are happy with your results.
If you are considering breast augmentation surgery, we invite you to contact our office today to schedule a consultation. We will be happy to answer any questions you may have and help you make an informed decision about whether this surgery is right for you.
The ideal candidate for this type of surgery is someone who would like to revise their original breast augmentation. The candidate is in good overall health, does not smoke, and has realistic expectations about the procedure results. Additionally, the ideal candidate should complete a consultation with Dr. Fedele; this will help the patient explore their options and know what to expect during and after the surgery. Patients who are not good candidates are smokers unwilling to pause their habit temporarily, those with certain medical conditions, and those who are pregnant or breastfeeding.
Patients should remember that this is surgery, and there is always a risk of complications. Ultimately, patients should carefully consider their risks with Dr. Fedele, a board-certified plastic surgeon. Call us today at (216) 464-1616 or fill out this form to receive a returned call.
What to Expect During Your Surgical Consultation in Ohio
During your consultation, Dr. Fedele will get to know your goals for revision augmentation and what concerns bring you to his office. Depending on your case, and after examining your breasts, he may recommend completely removing your implants and performing a breast lift. To ensure you are well cared for, Dr. Fedele and his staff will review your medical history and make sure you’re suitable for the operation. Once we have all the necessary information, Dr. Fedele will create a treatment strategy based on your unique demands and objectives. Our goal is complete patient satisfaction, and we do our best to achieve this with each of our patients.
Preparing for Revision Surgery
To ensure you get the best results from surgery, Dr. Fedele insists that patients follow these guidelines:
- To minimize the danger of complications, quit smoking at least six weeks before surgery.
- To minimize bleeding, avoid taking certain medications such as aspirin or ibuprofen.
- To enhance healing, eat a balanced diet and exercise regularly.
Aftercare must be taken into consideration when scheduling your procedure date. For example, someone should drive you home after surgery and stay with you the first night or the first few days after your procedure. Doing your part can increase your chances of a successful surgical outcome and a comfortable recovery.
There are a few different ways that Dr. Fedele can go about performing breast augmentation revision surgery.
- Implant Replacement – One method is to remove the existing implants and then put new ones in their place. Women are choosing this method to replace textured implants with smooth ones, even though the FDA has not explicitly recommended this. 
- Capsulectomy – This method involves removing the tissue around the implant (known as the “capsule”). This method may have a longer recovery. 
- Implant Exchange – This is the switch from saline to silicone or the reverse.
- Implant Removal – A breast lift or breast mastopexy is often performed with breast augmentation revision surgery, as gravity can take its toll on the breasts over time and cause them to sag. Thus, by combining a lift with revision surgery, patients can achieve more youthful-looking breasts that are also perkier and more aesthetically pleasing.
Ultimately, the course of action that will be taken will depend on each case and what the surgeon feels will be best for the patient.
Dr. Fedele’s incisions for revision surgery are usually very small and well-hidden. In some cases, he can use the same incisions that were made during the original surgery. However, in other cases, new incisions may need to be made to accommodate the revised procedure. Dr. Fedele takes excellent care to ensure that his incisions are as discreet as possible.
If you are unhappy with your breast implants and want to explore your revision surgery options, please get in touch with our office to schedule a consultation with Dr. Fedele. He will be happy to discuss the different techniques that can be used to improve the appearance of your breasts.
Recovery from Revision Surgery
After your surgery, you will have some bruising and swelling; this is normal and will go away on its own over time. You may need to wear a surgical bra or compression garment to help support your breasts as they heal. To assist your recuperation, make sure to:
- Get plenty of rest
- Eat a balanced diet
- Avoid smoking
- Take any prescribed medicines as directed
- Treat your incisions and surgical site with care
In most cases, people feel well enough to return to their usual activities within one or two weeks after surgery. However, it’s important to avoid strenuous activity or heavy lifting for at least four to six weeks so that your body can heal properly.
Contact our office immediately if you have any problems or complications after your surgery. It’s also essential to keep your follow-up appointments so that Dr. Fedele can check your healing progress.
What is the Cost of Breast Revision Surgery in Ohio?
The cost of your breast revision surgery is determined by many specifics, which will be outlined in your treatment course. Please schedule a consultation with our office to find out more!
- Denney BD, Cohn AB, Bosworth JW, Kumbla PA. Revision Breast Augmentation. Seminars in Plastic Surgery. 2021;35(02):098-109. doi:10.1055/s-0041-1727272
- Tanne JH. FDA approves silicone breast implants 14 years after their withdrawal. BMJ. 2006;333(7579):1139.1-1139. doi:10.1136/bmj.39048.332650.db
- Swanson E. The Case for Breast Implant Removal or Replacement Without Capsulectomy. Aesthetic Plastic Surgery. Published online February 11, 2021. doi:10.1007/s00266-020-02079-1